Wills Wing Sport 2 /2C
The Sport 2 is our latest, and arguably our best, in a long line of easy, fun to fly gliders that offer extraordinary levels of performance. Unlike other high performance kingposted gliders intended for pilots with advanced skills, the Sport 2 is suitable for even a true intermediate level pilot. At the same time, the Sport 2 provides performance that will satisfy an experienced veteran.
We pioneered the concept of “the high performance glider you already know how to fly” in 1976. In 1986, with the introduction of the original Sport 167, we firmly established the parameters of the “Sport Class” glider; a true high performance glider that an intermediate level pilot can fly effectively, and have fun on. Today, first with the U2, and now with the Sport 2, we’ve brought that concept to its highest levels of refinement.
The Sport 2 utilizes internal sprogs for stability along with a single reflex bridle per wing. Equipped standard with the ultra low drag Litestream performance control bar and an effective VG system, the Sport 2 offers glide performance across the speed range that is just slightly below that of the U2! The Sport 2 tracks straight and true at any speed, with no tendency towards oscillations. The Sport 2’s “on rails” directional stability makes aerotowing a breeze, and allows for confident, accurate landing approaches. The Sport 2’s exceptional slow flight handling and performance give it a climb rate in thermals that is unsurpassed. Its unusually light weight and good static balance make ground handling and launching easy. Landing characteristics are also easy and forgiving, ensuring that even the end of your flight will be something to enjoy. And finally, the Sport 2 comes with all of the built in quality, and backed by all of the extensive support, that you’ve come to associate with Wills Wing.
If you’re in the market for a glider that you can enjoy right now, and continue to enjoy as you advance your skills and expand your experience for many years to come, take a look at the new Sport 2. Quite frankly, we’ve never made a better glider. And neither has anyone else.
The base configuration of the Sport 2 is extraordinarily well equipped with some features that aren’t available at any price on comparable models from other manufacturers. These features are the foundation for the weight (as much as 8 lbs. lighter), handling and performance that have allowed innumerable pilots to achieve new personal milestones.
|Specification||Sport 2 135||Sport 2 155||Sport 2 175|
|Glider Weight (lbs)||54||59||70|
|Hook-In Weight (lbs)||135-200||150-250||175-320|
|Optimum Body Weight (lbs)||130-155||155-215||215-260|
|Double Surface (%)||74|
|Length (in bag) (in)||184||200||212|
- 100% 7075-T6 airframe, including keel, crossbar and leading edges (135 and 155 only)
- Competition-class control bar with streamlined basetube
- All hardware CNC machined in-house or from local shops, and only from wrought aluminum billet
- Premium Polyant sailcloth
Over the years, we’ve added premium options to further enhance both performance and appearance. The Sport 2C configuration includes four of our most-popular and effective options. We are offering the “2C” package for $1000, a $500 discount from the total of these items priced separately.
- UV-film laminate (Mylar) sail body
- UV-film laminate (Mylar) “window” bottom surface
- Speed battens
- Special-edition black airframe
Other premium options like our carbon basetube, Technora sailcloth and colored batten pockets are available separately. Color and material section for the Sport 2C is available from the drop-down model selector on Color Picker page as “Sport 2 Window”
- Combination Bridle and Internal Stablilty System
- Easy to Fly, High Performance, Intermediate Design
- Easy to Pull, Effective VG System
- Litestream Performance Control Bar
- Composite Transverse Battens
- Machined Aerodynamic Corner Fittings
- Button Lock Spring – Tang Attachments
- Very lightweight – all 7075 airframe (6061 leading edges on 175 size)
- 7075-T6 Pre-formed Battens
- Lever Rear Batten Tips
- 3-Color Bottom Surface
- Mylar-laminate sail options
- Full Leading Edge Pocket and Mylar Insert
- Quick-attach Nosecone
- Streamlined Kingpost
- Kingpost Hang Pilot Suspension
- Integral Low drag Back-up Hang Loop
- Curved Tip Planform
- Medium Weight, XC–Type Glider Bag, Control Bar Bag, Batten and Tip Bags, and Velcro Sail Ties
- Spare Parts Kit, Team Hat, Bumper sticker
- Comprehensive Owner / Service Manual and Batten Diagram